Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thoughts on Detecting

My husband and I were talking about some of the fun things that we have done over the years, involving our treasure hunting adventures. We can laugh about the mistakes that we have made and the knowledge that we have gained. When we first started, we threw away a lot of things that we considered trash then, and now know that we have thrown away some of our colonial history.
One story is of my first walking liberty half dollar. I had an excellent signal at the beach but when I dug all I had was something round that looked like cement on it. By that time we had enough knowledge to know not throw anything away until we took a look at it at home. When we got home the item had dried out and fell apart in Mike's hand. When we looked, we seen the design on both halves and I was excited when I realized that I had two walking liberties that had been stuck together, imagine my surprise when one of them crumbled in Mike's hand. We both realized that the half that crumbled was just the outer crust of the coin with the impression of the coin and the other side was the actual coin. The liberty was not in the best of shape but was my first! If I had seen it laying on the beach I would not have picked it up.
Another time we were at the beach and we kept getting good signals on these shiny black rocks. Of course we left them there, until Mike decided we had better take one home. When he took a hammer to the rock it broke and a penny was in the center. Again surprise, and upset thinking about the rest of them that we left. When we went back no black rocks.
We've learned that all those buckles we have found are colonial shoe buckles and when hunting home sites you can find just about anything.
If you are a beach hunter you are guaranteed to be loaded down with fishing weights, in fact you may have so many that you start handing them to the local fisherman, just to get all that weight out of your pouch.
We learned to always have fresh batteries and be ready for anything. One trip to the beach and we were finding a lot of coins and jewelry when my arm strap broke. Mike tied the detector to my arm so we could continue. I have had my scoop break, we have forgotten a scoop, we have left one on the beach and had to go all the way back. Keys have been locked in the car, and cell phone stolen or lost, caught in briar's, and sunburned.
In all we have had some fun times and are looking forward to many more.

Happy Digging...:)

2 comments:

  1. I had a good conversation with Mike Wednesday afternoon.
    Thank him for giving me your website address. There’s a lot of good pics of your finds! Here’s a link to my site:
    http://p.briggs.home.comcast.net/~p.briggs/HOME/LINKS%20TO%20SOME%20OF%20MY%20STUFF.htm
    On my site there is a link to my coin collection and links to old topo maps of Delaware. For each named box on the map there are 4 quadrants. After you click on a quadrant, it will come up and all you have to do is click on the map to enlarge it. Then you can use the vertical and horizontal sliders to move around. On the bottom of my page are 2 links. One for the Sanborn Maps and the other is a link to DataMil where you can access old aerial photos of the whole state. If you have any questions about how to use it, let me know.
    Next time you decide to go out metal detecting let me know! I’m retired now and any time is good.

    Pete Briggs
    Felton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out our blog! You do have quite the coin collection.
    Also thanks for the link to the maps, we will definately be using them.

    ReplyDelete