Sunday, December 7, 2008

Large Cent...





Wow, what a day! The sun what shining, not a cloud in sight. The weatherman said 39 degrees with a wind advisory. I didn't care how cold it was we were going detecting. We have not been out in about 2 weeks and I had to go. Mike and I bundled up and grabbed our XLT's and headed out. We both knew that this would not be a long trip because of the weather, but we would try to stand it as long as possible. In order to block the wind we went to a local woods that we knew an old homestead used to be. The farm dated back to the late 1700's early 1800's. The only sign left of the farm was the old cedar posts of the fence line. Mike had checked out this spot while deer hunting and said that it looked like it may have been an old pasture area. Or maybe a farm field. There was a few newer trees (by newer I mean maybe 25-50 years) and a few older trees. We started detecting, since we knew we would not be out long we just started meandering through the woods. Mike said "Make sure that you use relic mode". He knows that I am hooked on coin mode! So I tuned into relic mode and it was not that bad. I started by finding an old license plate, followed by some shotgun shells and slugs. Nothing really exciting but the possibility of something good being there kept us going. I heard a yell and looked over at Mike. He was standing there bundled up with his gloves, face mask, and hat on, waving me to come over. My first thought~~ OK...what did he find?? hopefully something good or he wouldn't wave me over... So I headed over, of course I continued to detect while I headed over to him, I watched him scan the area and start digging. I knew it would take him a few minutes to get through the roots on top, so I took time to dig another bullet before I went over.
He kept waving me to hurry! When I got to him he said "I found the first coin in here". Of course it was still in the hole! He asked me to scan the hole and I got a reading of 74 but didn't seem steady. I was not sure that this was a coin. The detector said 6.5 inches. He kept saying " I know this is a coin!" When I scanned again all I got was a bleep on the detector, but when I pinpointed it was still saying 6.5 inches. We dug some more. Well he dug some more. This time when I scanned the hole I didn't get a reading at all but I could still pinpoint it. The last time that I scanned, the object was out of the hole and read 74 at .5 inches in the dirt. I knew at that point that he had found a coin! He moved the dirt a little and there the coin sat!! He was right, it was the first coin from that woods. We both looked down at that large cent sitting there covered in dirt, I don't know who started breathing first but I heard Mike yell " wooh- hoo!" We started high fiving and jumping around. If anybody saw us they would have thought we had won the lottery. He picked up the coin and we glanced at it and could see the face of a woman on it but no date. He put it away until we could get home to clean it. Mike grabbed his detector flung it over his shoulder, and said "are you ready to go?" I was speechless...He said"I'm cold". I was cold too but I was really excited and was hoping to find a large cent for myself. I looked at him and asked "are you crazy? I want to find one for myself." He started laughing and then became the expert, showing me where to detect! Well, as you know it's no fun if the other person is not detecting just walking around with a smile on his face. So I said, " Let's go, so we can see what you found". The whole time coming out of the woods and driving home we laughed and high-five. What an exciting day. We will definitely be going back there again. Since he has had the coin home he has started cleaning it up. As of right now we are not able to read the complete date but can see that it is a 1700 coin. He is still cleaning it and should have more information on what the coin is.





No comments:

Post a Comment